Getting Started with Settlement Services

income tax clinic 2019

Are you new to Canada or have lived here for 15 years but still need some help getting started? Are you stuck trying to fill out the government paperwork? Maybe you're thinking about upgrading your education? Or are you ready to start working but don't know what your resume should look like and don't have any job leads?

Richmond Multicultural Community Services is here to help you. Best of all, it's FREE.

Over 30 years, RMCS has built a name in Richmond as an agency that helps immigrant and refugee communities live comfortably in the city. Below are some basic answers to frequently asked questions.

How much will it cost?

FREE. Nothing. You read it correctly. There's no catch; there's no fine print. Let one of our workers help you for FREE. But if you really want to give us something we are a charity so help us reach our goal of $20,000 by making a donation here.

I’m a newcomer and don’t know where to start:

Call us today at 604.279.7160 and make an appointment so one of our settlement workers. They will help you create a plan with goals and teach you what to do to best to join the community. This process is called a needs assessment.

What are settlement services?

Settlement Services help new immigrants and refugees live in Canada by connecting newcomers to services, jobs, housing, and everything else needed to feel welcome in your new home. We guide newcomers toward the next steps along their settlement pathway. RMCS Settlement Services provide access to government and community services.

What can RMCS staff help me with?

Our workers can provide you with information on the following:

  • Accessing government services
  • Resume or cover letter help
  • Employment and job trends
  • Information Health care services
  • English Conversation Classes
  • Information on housing
  • Information on education
  • Assistance with Permanent Residence applications and renewals
  • Sponsoring family members
  • Assistance with income tax
  • Help with subsidies
  • Applications for EI, Visas and Passports
  • Income tax questions
  • Anything else that you have questions for!

What Do I need to bring with me?

You need to bring proof of Permanent Residence. A photocopy of your PR card or immigration document.

We also need your date of birth and legal name.

Who can get help?

  • Permanent residents
  • Refugees
  • Temporary Foreign Workers
  • Provincial Nominees who are awaiting a letter of approval for permanent residency from the federal government
  • Immigrants who are naturalized citizens

What Languages Can I receive Help in?

RMCS workers speak 15 different languages and can help you with just about anything. They have all the latest information to help you settle in Richmond.
Our workers speak:



How can I help?

Please consider making a donation. We are a charity that provides these services free of charge, however, the coffee and snacks are not. We want to make RMCS inviting and warm for everyone who visits and would love to be able to provide some basics like water, coffee and tea at our workshops with your help. Anything helps. We also have an amazing volunteer program where you can help us with office reception duties, tables at community events like the annual Salmon Festival or South Arm block party, or special RMCS events like the Annual Diversity Dialogue or Bi-Annual Newcomer Welcome Party. Email if you'd like to volunteer!